The Jerusalem Prayer List – July 7, 2016
By Joseph Shulam – From Dallas, Texas, USA
We have arrived in Dallas, Texas, and we are staying with our good friends and dear brothers, Jimmy and Hava and their family. It is always a joy to be with friends and brothers in the faith that share the most precious of all treasures – the common faith in the same God and in the same savior. This friendship was formed in our common faith and vision for Israel and for our brothers in the churches. We have but to praise God for the bond that He has made between Jimmy’s family and the Shulam family.
This week the Jewish communities in the Diaspora are reading Parasha called Korah. This reading starts in Numbers 19:1 – 22:1, and it tells the story of Korah and his family. First we should see who were this Korah and his family! We need to know this in order to discern today and recognize who are the disciples of Korah who inhabit our communities today.
In Exodus 16:1, Korah’s lineage is traced back to Levi the son of Jacob, son of Isaac, son of Abraham.
Numbers 16:1, 21, traces this lineage back further to Levi, son of the patriarch Israel. In fact Korah was from the family of Levi and related to Aaron the brother of Moses. This is important to understand that Korah was not one of the obscure people in the Israelite camp. This is why in Hebrew we say, “Rich like Korah.” It is an equivalent to the English idiom “Rich like Midas.”
“Now Korah the son of Izhar, the son of Kohath, the son of Levi, with Dathan and Abiram the sons of Eliab, and On the son of Peleth, sons of Reuben, took men; and they rose up before Moses with some of the children of Israel, two hundred and fifty leaders of the congregation, representatives of the congregation, men of renown. They gathered together against Moses and Aaron, and said to them, “You take too much upon yourselves, for all the congregation is holy, every one of them, and the LORD is among them. Why then do you exalt yourselves above the assembly of the LORD?” (Numbers Num. 16:1-3)
What was the problem with Korah and his clan that rebelled against Moses and Aaron? Why was the punishment against Korah and all those who joined him so harsh, the Land opened up and swallowed the whole clan and those who joined Korah alive into the pit?
1. Korah did not come alone to complain to Moses and Aaron about their leadership style and the exclusivity of their posts that were appointed by God Himself. They came with a whole crowed that they had mustered and organized and prepared to turn against the leadership of Moses and Aaron.
2. Korah and his clan did not speak as individuals with concern for their rights and privileges, but they spoke in the name of 250 leaders, man of renown, representatives of the people.
3. They had not shown any appreciation for the years that Moses and Aaron had spent leading the people of Israel through the wilderness of Sinai, feeding the people, arbitrating for the people, interceding for the people before God, and just leading and adjudicating this great rabble for so many years in the wilderness. This lack of gratitude toward Moses and Aaron was in reality a lack of gratitude toward God Himself who chose and appointed Moses and Aaron to their particular tasks as leaders of the Israelite people.
4. Not accepting God’s appointed leaders is equal to not accepting God Himself. This principle is also the principle that Yeshua was teaching in the Gospel of John when He said that if you accept Moses you also accept Yeshua and if you don’t accept Yeshua you don’t really accept Moses. This principle is a key component in our faith in Yeshua and Moses and the Prophets.
5. The claims of “Democracy” that Korah is claiming sounds like this: “for all the congregation is holy, every one of them, and the LORD is among them. Why then do you exalt yourselves above the assembly of the LORD?” Let us look at this claim after I translate it for you into modern English:
- We are all equal and we all the same rights!
- Religion is all equal and God is in every one of the religions equally valid.
- There is no one above the other and you Moses and Aaron don’t have a right to rule over us in the congress and in the Senate and even in the White House we should have someone from our own class.
Here are some eye openers that we should all take into consideration.
- 1. Moses did not want to be a leader of the people of Israel. God almost forced him to take the leadership and go down to Egypt to tell Pharaoh to let the Israelite Slaves go. He was God chosen, and God prepared, and God appointed. The same is also true for Aaron his brother.
- It is not true that everyone is equal. It is true that everyone is created equal by God and as long as people are living according to God’s rules true equality will prevail and all will have the rights and the privileges that will guaranty them the right to be happiness.” Happiness and Joy are not something that anyone can take away from his neighbor nor are they qualities that anyone can give to his neighbor. We can make it easier or more difficult for each other to be happy and joyful, but no much more than that. 3. Democracy is a wonderful system of government, but it is not a divine God given system.
- The first democracy was in Athens, Greece, and it did not last very long. Most of the world has never had true democracy where every citizen is equal in all the rights and privileges to his neighbor.
- In most countries where there is a claim of democracy and equality between the citizens this equality is partial and never full because people are born with different capabilities and talents.
- Education, Wealth, Color of the Skin, Height, Weight, Color of the Hair, Job, and beauty, all play a role in the actual privileges and true rights that human beings experience in this world.
- God showed in no uncertain terms that Moses and Aaron are going to remain the leaders whom He appointed and anointed for the task. Korah and all his “gang” were swallowed alive into the Earth that opened up its mouth.
- It might seem harsh on God’s part to react so strongly to this claim of Korah and his band of 250 elite members of the Israeli Society in the Wilderness of Sinai. But, it ought to be a clear and present danger to all who in the name of total equality are devouring the very branch that they are sitting on. It should be a lesson to all that elevating any political system to be equal to God’s plan of salvation for all mankind – that is really the only total equality for all mankind. The equalizing factor that is unique and works is the Blood of the Lamb that was shed for our transgressions and delivered us from Darkness into the Divine light that came from Sinai to Calvary.
Please continue to pray for Israel. There is daily terrorism going on and daily bleeding on both sides. The terrorist can be a young girl with a knife in her hand trying to stab and kill Israeli soldiers like yesterday and it can be a terrorist driver who is ramming a jeep with the attempt to kill the those who are riding in it. All of us ought to remember that you can’t kill hate with more hate and you can’t reach Godly and righteous goals with unrighteousness and death and killing. On the other hand a government can’t allow the enemy to use terror and murder and cross it’s hands and do nothing to protect the innocent citizens. We must pray that the spirit of truth will prevail over the lies, deception, and subterfuge that are used by the Arab/Palestinian leadership. The Arab leadership is using this deception and lies for only one purpose and that is to get the Western World to condemn Israel and to harm Israel on the international arena. I pray that the Free World Leaders will have their eyes opened up by God and by the truth to see the reality and to stand with the truth and to stop the promotion of terrorism and death. The World Leaders need to see the reality of ISIS and President Assad of Syria who have killed in the most horrible and sadistic ways innocent people just because they are not from the same brand of Islam, or they are Christians, or from the Yazedi tribe Iraq, or Kurdish people in northern Syria and Iraq. The focus is on little Israel who is holding on it’s existence by the skin of their teeth and is still blessing the World in so many branches of science and academia and inventions and just improving the lives of many millions of people from China to Patagonia. Stand with Israel! Stand with the Jewish Disciples of Yeshua in the land of Israel and pray for us and support us to continue being a blessing to the people of Israel, both Jews and Arabs/Palestinians and to the body of the Messiah.
Please lift up Zvi L., in your prayer. Zvi has been in ICU now for more than three months and he is 90 years old. I pray to the Lord to bless Zvi and allow him more time to live with his cognitive ability and to see the wedding of his grandchildren. Pray for Sara L., Zvi’s wife to have good health and also live to see her grandchildren’s wedding.
I have two new very special prayer request for healing and strength. Tom is a dear brother from Murfreesboro, Tennessee, who is standing with God and has been a faithful supporter of Netivyah for more than 40 years. Tom is battling a sever form of that cursed illness called cancer. The second person from the same congregation is a dear friend whose family is also standing with Netivyah for more than 40 years. Her name is Gloria. Gloria has some sever health issues that need the hand of the Lord to touch her heart and set it right. Pray for Tom and Gloria in addition to all those other brothers and sisters around the world. I would like to add another very dear brother called Joe. Joe is a leader in that same congregation. Joe has a massive stroke and has difficulty to speak clearly. I pray and ask you all to pray for the Lord to touch Joe in his lips and allow the flow of words and wisdom to come out clearly from Joe’s mouth.
Our dear brother Gary continued health difficulties. Aharon (Don and Nancy’s Son) has a brain tumor and needs prayer. Yuri Marianenko with prostate cancer, we pray for the cancer to stop spreading and for complete healing. Ahuvah Ben Meir, David Stern, Marcia Shulam, Sarit, Miriam, Hannah, Danah Shulam, Barry Shulam, Ruby, Clara, Paulo, Tatiana, Ilana, Leah, Naomi, Tim Tucker, Anna who has again fallen ill with sever infection, Anne-Mirijami, Satu-Maria, Anna-Majia, Sinni Tuuli, Erki and Sirpa, and Evelina, and Liz in Georgia, and Horace and June Marcia’s parents.
In Brazil: Marcelo’s father and mother, Paulo, Clara, and the spiritually sick women and men who knew the truth and chose to believe lies.
We pray for the following dear brothers and sisters: Pastor Curita in Tokyo, Toru San, and the husband of Yumi, Sadako San, Shoko San, Takeo Sensei and Tomoko San all in Japan.
We have brothers and sisters who are not physically sick, but they need the hand of God’s blessing on their lives: Michael Knezevich in Portland, Raymond and his family and his company, Laurel S., and please add to this prayer all those people whom you know and ask the Mighty God of Israel and Yeshua our Messiah to show their mercy and grace on these fine disciples of Yeshua.
Joseph and Marcia will be traveling to tomorrow to Tennessee. Please keep them in your prayers for traveling grace. Terrance and Angelina Ha will be gone to Canada until July 3rd. Leah K., and Ilana H., from our congregation are traveling in Finland. We ask safety and blessing on all our brothers and sisters who are traveling.
Our brothers in Japan have opened a welcome cancer in Kyoto, Japan. I pray and ask you to pray for this welcome cancer to be blessed by God and used by God to bring a blessing to Israeli travellers to this beautiful ancient city.
Especially pray for the new congregation in Vitoria, E.S., Brazil and their leadership, and for the Teaching from Zion Ministry in Brazil, and the Har Zion Congregation in Belo-Horizonte, and for the Sar EL congregation in Curitiba.
Of course pray for every brother and sister from the World over, that prays for Israel and for us and shares his or her blessing with us in Jerusalem so that we can do the Work of The Lord.
Keep Marcia and I in your prayer. Next week we shall be traveling again to London and from there back home to Israel.
God bless all who stand with His promises and pray for the peace of Jerusalem. May the Good Lord multiply your joy and protect you from all harm in Yeshua’s name! Amen!